Are you Daisy Crazy?
It’s time to fold away the heavy knitted blankets, get away from the fire or heater, put away your slippers to pop on those sandals and take a walk through the daisy fields. Spring is just around the corner, and mother nature is putting on a show for us here in the Cape as the cold, wet curtain is lifted to make way for the sunshine. August and September are the months best known for the annual Spring flowers in the West Coast National Park, particularly the area of Postberg which is is only open to the public during these two Spring months. Here, the beautiful multi-coloured carpets of flowers can be seen, along with thousands of migrating birds.
Where do I need to go to?
Situated just over an hour’s drive from Cape Town, the West Coast National Park makes for a great opportunity to explore the West Coast for few days and take in one of mother nature’s beautiful shows.
What else can I do along the West Coast?
- Explore the park in your vehicle and search for game in their natural habitat
- Pack a picnic and dine out in one of the specially built facilities in the park
- Take a walk or hike along one of the many trails on offer in the area
- Take in the countless numbers of bird species in the area
- Whale watch along the coast within the Tsaarsbank section of the West Coast National Park during the whale season
- Pop over to Langebaan and learn to kite surf
- Book a night’s accommodation in Paternoster and enjoy some quiet time in a quaint fishing village with beautiful beaches
When is the best time to visit?
Now, now and now! The flower season runs from the beginning of August to the end of September, although the best viewing period is from mid-August until mid-September. Bear in mind that flowers love the sun and tend to be on full display during sunny days, so be sure to check the weather (winter can always let us know that she’s around) and aim to view the flowers while the sun is nice and high in the sky. Although it is encouraged to get there early to avoid the long queues of other daisy crazies!
Around About Cars tip: Travel with your back towards to the sun so that you get a full view of the flowers colours as they face the sun!
If you are planning a trip and are unsure about the blooms and if they are still on show, don’t be shy to give the park office a call on +27 (0) 22 772 2144 or if you want to take a look at what flowers you can see there and where, follow this link: https://www.sanparks.org/parks/west_coast/conservation/ff/vegetation.php
So what are you waiting for? Rent a car with us, pack your bags and make sure you stop for a local fresh pie along the road while you make a weekend of spring flower viewing!